The Origin of the Monster Arts for Youth Program:
Originally created to celebrate South Asian Heritage month in May, the Monster Arts for Youth (M.A.Y.) program is now available throughout the entire school year. This year’s iteration of the program aims to match increased demand from elementary, middle and high schools in the Peel region and is generously supported by government funding as well as the Peel District School Board.
What is the Monster Arts for Youth Program?
Under the M.A.Y. program schools are able to bring professional, world-class artists into the classroom to teach students about South Asian film, create their own spoken word and poetry, and practice South Asian dance, visual arts, and music; at no cost to schools or students. Thanks to funding by the Ontario Arts Council, Ontario Trillium Foundation and the City of Brampton, schools receive their first two workshops for free and half off subsequent workshops.
Why is the M.A.Y. Program important?
M.A.Y. workshops provide an unprecedented way to break cultural silos in the classroom. The program exposes students from a wide range of cultural backgrounds to South Asian arts as a means to integrate cultures, introduce students to different art forms, and most importantly, express what they’ve learned in their own voice. This year M.A.Y. workshops are available in 258 schools in the Peel District School Board and to over 150,000 students.
The M.A.Y. Program highlights:
- Provide an unprecedented way to break cultural silos in the classroom.
- Workshops can reach 258 schools in the Peel District School Board and over 150,000 students.
- Offered at no cost to schools or students.
- Teach multidisciplinary South Asian arts.
- Receive rave reviews.
- Accept requests for workshops year-round.
Some schools in the Peel District School Board that have requested a M.A.Y. workshop include:
- Applewood School
- Balmoral Drive Senior Public School
- Balmoral Senior Public school
- Balmoral Sr. Public School
- Belfountain Public School
- Beryl Ford Public School
- Brisdale Public School
- Caledon East Public School
- Castlebridge Public School
- Cawthra Park Secondary School
- Centennial Senior Public School
- Chinguacousy Secondary School
- Copeland Public School
- Corliss Public School
- Corsair Public School
- Darcel Avenue Senior Public School
- Darcel Senior Public School
- Earnscliffe Public School
- Earnscliffe Senior Public School
- Erin Centre Middle School
- Fallingdale Public School
- Garthwood park Public School
- Glendale Public School
- Gordon Graydon Memorial Secondary School
- Grenoble Public School
- Herb Campbell Public School
- Homestead Public School
- Janet I. McDougald
- John Fraser Secondary School
- Larkspur Public School
- Lincoln M. Alexander Secondary School
- Lorenville Public School
- Marvin Heights Public School
- Massey Street Public School
- McKinnon Public School
- Morning Star Middle School
- Rick Hansen Secondary School
- Riverside Public School
- Royal Orchard Middle School
- Sheridan Park Public School
- Springbrook Public School
- The Woodlands School
- Thorn Lodge Public School
- Thorndale Public School
- Vista Heights Public School
- W.G. Davis Senior Public School
- West Credit Secondary School
- Whitehorn Public School